Saturday, December 17, 2005

Procrastination and Love

Life is procrastination until death.

That was not meant to be melancholic or morose. It is simply a funny truth I am starting to discover as yet another semester of seminary comes to a close. Granted, I consider myself an expert in procrastination, if only by my large amount of experience, and I have found that some of the greatest acheivements come while delaying and then finally starting an activity (though these acheivements are often coupled with a significant amount of stress).

Right now I sit in a comfortable chair on the second floor of my girlfriend's house, procrastinating. The task at present is to somehow make good on this love of writing that I have and fashion a meaningful framework of a toast for Leigh's best friend, who is getting married this afternoon. Leigh only recently found out she would be expected to give a toast (she is the maid of honor), and with all the other responsibilities she has before her today, mulling over a short toast is not high on the list. She does indeed want it to be good, but is afraid she will not have time to come up with something poignant for the occasion. This is where I come in, and thus, this is where procrastination seizes me and instead of thinking pointedly to the happy couple and, though I hardly know them, considering how to describe and praise their love for each other, I blog, spinning off like an awkward paper airplane into considering the meaning of Love itself. Well, that and the art of procrastination.

What follows will be the strings of some ambitious musings on the nature of Love ...

Love is laughing and finding that someone is already laughing with you, and crying and finding someone already has their hand around your shoulders ...

Love is better construed silently through the five senses than through words. The eyes gaze with wonder upon the one loved. The ears open to everything that person has to say. The nose recognizes the aroma, beyond any perfume or cologne, of that person. The tongue knows immediately and distinctly who it is kissing. The feel of that person, close to you, hand in yours, is not recognized because of any measure of softness or roughness, but how well that person seems to fit with you, arms around each other, heads bowed together, a perfect embrace ...

Love is saying you are sorry, finding out that deep down this could never be necessary, but saying it and meaning it anyway ...

Love is not replacing a best friend for a more intimate one, but discovering that everything your best friends have taught you - loyalty, affection, humor, closeness, devotion, compromise - is finding new depths of truth in this wonderful person beside you ...

Love is not merely "practice for eternity," but finding that eternity has spilled into this present life ...
____

We shall see where these take me. Procrastination, be a friend - we have work to do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't you hate ads in the blog comment screen? If you turn on the word verification in your settings, it will get rid of people posting ads, since it will take too much work for them to do that.

Anyhow, i loved the little things you said about love. They're all so very true, and very poetic. Great writing!

One of Us said...

What up bro?! Thanks for the comments and what not. I do have to admit this is the first time I've checked your blog since I've been gone from Wacko....1,000 pardons! But, I really enjoyed reading the post after Kyle's death. I still don't think that whole "tragedy" will sink in until I'm back there and he's not there. I've been writing a lot more lately and of course means I'm feeling a lot more sane. I'm excited that you and Leigh are doing well! I also just skimmed over a post where I read something about "People I Want To Do This" and my name was mentioned. I'm at work now, but I'm headed home and will work on whatever it is you suggested. Until then....peace be w/ you!